Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist!

This post, written by Greg, originally appeared on MommyDaddyBlog.com.

Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com As many of you who have been keeping up with us as of recent may know, we received a TON of clothes for Boogie at our baby shower. It’s now a month later, and those clothes are still sitting in the original bags we received them in. Why? Because we have nowhere to put them! Mommy’s 26,104,295 pairs of jeans, 519,173,390,266 shirts, and 102,612,843,074,914 pairs of shoes take up every inch of space in every single closet and dresser we have. And those numbers are NOT an exaggeration!

So last week I decided to look for a nice dresser just for Boogie (that means hands off Mommy!) on Craigslist. After only a few minutes of searching, I found a really nice one for only $30! No, it wasn’t falling apart and yes, it still had all its drawers. It didn’t look too bad from the picture that was included in the ad, but as we all know, pictures can be deceiving.

So after getting in contact with the couple selling the dresser, Mommy and I headed over their way today to check it out. When I was finally able to see the dresser, my mouth dropped; it was perfect! It looked practically brand new! The dresser was definitely worth more than just $30, so I knew there had to be a catch. Dead rodent superglued to one of the drawers? Stinky poo aroma? Nope, all the drawers were clean and the dresser smelled just fine. So what could it be? That question was answered once I handed the money over to the guy:

Guy: (turns to wife) (in a questionable voice) $30 Hon?
Guy’s Wife: (in a oops-I-think-I-underpriced-the-dresser-a-bit-too-much voice) …yes…
Guy: (in a how-in-the-hell-could-you-have-sold-the-dresser-for-so-cheap voice) …ok…

Ohhh, I see now! *evil Bowser grin*

Needless to say, I skedaddled out of there (with dresser in tow!) before they decided to up the price on us; and before it turned into Wrestlemania in there between the guy and his wife!

So, we just got back home with the dresser and we’re going to go ahead and put all of Boogie’s clothes in it tonight. I’m going to monitor Mommy because knowing her, she’ll try to take over that dresser too! I found some similar dressers on Target.com (here and here) that cost between $150 to $340, so now I feel even better about our deal on the dresser!

Lesson learned for the day: love Craigslist!

Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com0Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com0Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com0Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com0Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com0Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.comNever Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.comNever Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com
Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com

Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist! Sophistishe.com

12 Responses to “Never Underestimate the Power of Craigslist!”

1. Keisha says:

Great deal ! I’ve never used Craiglist.
    And you leave her alone about her clothes and need of closet space.

Keisha’s last blog post..Expelled: No intelligence Allowed (Trailer)

2. Lynne says:

What a GREAT find! I haven’t been to Craigslist yet, but I definitely need to check it out!

3. Daddy says:

Jared – Same here! I guess the saying really is true: one man’s junk is another man’s treasure!

1StopMom – Definitely, I think Craigslist is better than “traditional” garage sales. More exposure. Easier to manage. No risks of getting rained out!

Tanyetta – You should’ve seen how it was at our last place. We had FOUR closets and she took up EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Why so many clothes, Mommy, why???

Elliott – Fellow “Freecycler” here! We’ve been using Freecycle too for some time now. Gotta love it!

JMom – It sure does, now all we need is a nursery!

Gina – Wow, congratulations on that bed! That was definitely a steal!

JessicaHopefully is the keyword here. Give it a few months and I’m pretty sure some of Mommy’s clothes will mysteriously appear in there!

Laura – 10-4 Lieutenant! We already have the dresser in place, ready to mount!

4. laura says:

hey huge congratulations on that find!! don’t forget to mount it to the wall–scary stories out there involving young tots and falling dressers. you can’t be too careful!

laura’s last blog post..Public Transit

5. Jessica says:

That was quite a steal, congrats! It’s a very nice looking dresser. Hopefully Boogie will be able to keep it all to himself.

Jessica’s last blog post..Spring Cleaning!

6. Gina says:

I am always searching craigslist for things. We recently got Aria a white toddler bed in PERFECT condition for $20. It’s amazing what you’ll find on there.

That dresser is adorable!

Gina’s last blog post..PeaceLoveMom: A Celebration of Motherhood

7. JMom says:

cool! I love a good bargain :) and that dresser looks great for a nursery.

JMom’s last blog post..Spritjes – the best sugar cookies

8. Craigslist is great for baby items! We got our changing table and crib.

Freesource and Freecycle are great sources for baby items too.

Elliott – 21st Century Dad’s last blog post..Happy to be a Hapa Girl

I love love love Craigslist.

Great deal. Look at that dresser! 30 buxx? Yeah, you were smart to run like forrest with that dresser ;)

LOL at all of mommy’s clothes and shoes. I am guilty of the same thing.

And we have to share a closet. Yeah…..NO fun!

tanyetta’s last blog post..How to beat the negative nellies.

We love Craigslist in our house. My husband just bought a car part on there today. I am going to do an online garage sale using craigslist. I figure it would be great way to get a little money for stuff I may have just thrown out any way.

1stopmom’s last blog post..Just had to share

11. Jared says:

Awesome find! I’ve sold a few things on Craigslist. Stuff I was just going to throw away and made $10 on them. Can’t beat it. :D

Jared’s last blog post..I’m Still Alive, But Just In Case…