Growth Spurt Alert

Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com

Those of you who have been following me at my old blog know how concerned I was with Jayden’s weight. Once we introduced him to solids and he stopped nursing as much, his weight began to flatline. I’d dread going in for his well visits because he was not gaining weight. Being told that he is on the lower end of the charts for his weight (although he looked perfectly fine) got quite annoying. I know those charts are full of it, but growing up skinny (and feeling like a total runt amongst peers and other family members) has made me super conscious about him staying on the charts.

Sometimes I’d miss the days when he was breastfed, he was such a chunkster. Sometimes I wish he’d relapse, and my milk would replenish, just so he’d get that extra nutrition. We put him on vitamins and even made a chart to make sure he was received the proper amounts from each food group. Well, that didn’t last. We just couldn’t keep up, but luckily his appetite began to increase drastically. We didn’t have to worry too much.

He is going through a major growth spurt right now and his requests for everything in the entire kitchen are more than we can handle. We are happy to see him eating so well though. Thank goodness he is not a picky eater. He is partial to “bwead” (bread), “buh byes” (blueberries), “gapes” (grapes), “tuhkey” (turkey), and “ships” (chips) from Wahmart (Walmart). And whatever we’re having, he’ll have some too.

He recently gained 1lb in one week. I am thrilled and amazed! He’s looking rounder. The rolls are back. I certainly have missed squeezing his chunky thighs and snapping photos of those fat ‘lil booty cheeks *shhh*. He’s also gotten taller and his feet sure have grown. I’ve got a feeling we’re going to be picking up a few articles of clothing, soon. Speaking of which, I’m looking to swap size 6-18months clothing for size 24 month footie PJs. Anyone?

Has there ever been a moment where you worried about your child’s weight only for them to completely blow you away with their growth later? Share your story.

Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com0Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com1Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com0Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com0Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com0Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.comGrowth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.comGrowth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com
Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com

Growth Spurt Alert Sophistishe.com

11 Responses to “Growth Spurt Alert”

1. Jessica says:

Glad to her that Jayden is gaining a healthy little appetite!

Our pediatrician is always telling us that Ethan is overweight, while Addison is underweight. It frustrates me when I hear this because to me, my children look very proportional in size. I am not sure about you, but their constant criticism makes me feel like a big parenting failure, even though I know I am good mother.

You know my kids were always in the top percentile, 90% and up. It was always brought up that they were too big. But I like chunky babies and want my kids to eat well and it had balanced itself out pretty good. My little cousin is small for his age and his weight has pretty much stayed the same for a while. He did not have always have a big appetite but it is starting to grow. His mom makes sure he does eat when he is hungry and that is working for her.

3. Jenny says:

I’m sure he’ll be fine. My son was the same way but then he started eating like a pig (like his father) and he gained some weight. He’s also very big for his age and that’s another reason why he’s kinda thin. But I was assured that once he was about 11 or 12 that he would gain A LOT of muscle (also like his father). Yep. Your kid will be ok. I think it’s a boy thing. xD

4. Shannon says:

I’m glad to hear that his weight has picked up. Doctor’s are always impartial, in my opinion. If your child isn’t overweight, he/she is too skinny, if your child isn’t skinny he/she is overweight. When my son was a baby, he was very chunky but there wasn’t a concern for his weight by his doctor. I was afraid that he’d never thin out but as he got older, he thinned out very well. In fact, he’s rather tall and very slim. He’s very picky though, which concerns me a great deal, but I guess when he gets older his appetite for more things will pick up. My daughter is a different story, she’s chunky, but her doctor is concerned that she’s TOO chunky, which is weird considering my son weighed more than she did at the same age and they said he was completely healthy. I know that once she gets a bit older, she will slim out also, it’s already happening.

I am worried about my baby girl’s weight. The doctor says I need to feed her 1000 calories a day to increase her weight. So of course now I feel that I am obsessing over what to feed her to make sure she’s reaching these goals. She is at a stand still for her weight gain. She is 9 months old.

6. I’m not a mom but I can only imagine your concern.

I randomly found your blog, and I really like it! Very cute pic, and your kid is adorable.

Don’t worry about his weight too much.. I’m a babysitter by day lol.. and I know for a fact that when kids are at the toddler age where they start moving around more, it’s tough to get them to sit and eat a proper meal and also they start losing weight.

As long as he’s healthy, that’s all that matters.

Good luck with your blog!

TriNi

7. Jennae says:

Given that I breast fed Ja’Naya for a total of about 2 days, I can’t relate to that part of it, but she was a chunky little thing when she was an infant too. Then her weight started to balance out once she became mobile. The thing is that even though her weight was on the charts, dead center, for her weight based on her age, she was always waaay above the charts on height. She she has always been really slender. And she is a VERY picky eater (though right now she’s eating everything in sight because of her medication). I figure it comes and goes in stages, so don’t worry your pretty little head too much. But I’ve never been skinny, so I can’t relate ;)

8. I actually had the opposite problem with my now 2 1/2 yr old daughter Kaydence. She was strictly breastfeed for over a year and always under 20% on the growth charts, but visually she had plenty of rolls and fluff on her. It wasn’t until solids that she really chunked out. While my pediatrician was concerned, I knew better, she was healthy as can be, just waiting for her little growth spurt.

9. Jenn says:

Alyssa has always kept me on toes because since birth she’s been on the petite side. Even now, at five and a half, she’s on the smaller side, and can still wear 5T tops and bottoms and some 4T tops. Ryan, who is 21 months younger than her, has been on the high end of the percentile charts since birth — always ranking somewhere between 94th and 98th. It’s crazy that he’s heavier than her and almost as tall as her, despite being almost two years younger than her.

Anyway, it’s great that Jayden is developing a good appetite and is opening to eating all sorts of foods. I always encourage both Alyssa and Ryan to try new things, and to eat well at meals.

10. hangingwithmrscooper says:

And then he’ll be 10 when the massive growth spurt occurs. My son gained 26 pounds from age 9 to 10. I can no longer see his ribcage or backbone. I love it. He was always skinny and I was pullling the elastic bands in his jeans. Now he’s wearing regular or husky. HUSKY. Unbelievable. Now evreryone is telling me “And soon he’ll be 13″. Hang in there girl, the fun has just begun.

11. Shelly says:

We went through a period of time when the pediatrician encouraged us to increase his fat intake. He has always been on the charts so we just feed him like we did our girls. He does not gain a whole lot of weight but he is still mistaken for being 3. This tells me that his weight is not an issue. Will goes for his 2 year appt next month so I am curious to see what he weighs in at.

I am really glad to see Jayden eats so many different things. That’s awesome! Wish my boy was that way. He eats a lot but still has issues with texture. I guess I won’t complain since he gets more than enough on a daily basis.