Little Boys And Earrings

Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com

I had my ears pierced as a baby. Of course I don’t remember getting them done, so I guess it’s a good thing I got them done so early. But. I also feel like a little girl should get her ears pierced when she is ready and asks to have them pierced. That could be age 2-whenever, it’s truly up to her. I feel like babies have their share of handling when they come into this world, the body mods for beauty purposes can be postponed. And once a little girl is ready to have her ears pierced, it can be turned into a celebration and she’ll always remember the day that she got her ears pierced and her first pair of earrings.

I saw a photo of a little boy no older than 5, who had his left ear pierced. It wasn’t all ridiculously blinged out. It was a modest stud. It complemented his adorableness. I didn’t do a double take (I actually sat there awwing) because I am all for kids being able to express themselves and have their own style. I don’t know if he asked to have his ear pierced or if it was the parents’ doing. Sea Salt Brownie points if he was able to make the decision for himself. Part of me would like to allow Jayden to pierce his ears if he wanted to at whatever age and Greg thinks if he wants them pierced, he should wait until tweenhood (when he had his done). At whatever age, though, we will celebrate it (with photos, video, and a special treat), maybe on one of his birthdays. He will always remember the day that he got his ear(s) pierced just as his future siblings (who may be girls). (No, I’m not pregnant).

Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com0Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com4Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com3Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com0Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com0Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.comLittle Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.comLittle Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com
Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com

Little Boys And Earrings Sophistishe.com

17 Responses to “Little Boys And Earrings”

1. Gerri says:

My daughter is 2.5 years old, and since her birth I’ve heard from my mom and mother-in-law (over and over) as well as other family members about having her ears pierced. I had mine pierced as a baby, and that’s fine that my mom made that decision for me. I didn’t grow up hating her for it or anything like that. But I just couldn’t bring myself to pierce my little baby’s ears. That’s HER body. It’s not my place to decide something so invasive. So when she asks, it’ll happen. And guess what? That day will be special because it’s something that she wanted for herself. :)

2. Mandi says:

I’m with you – I got mine done when I was an infant, but I’d rather wait to pierce my daughter’s when she’s old enough to understand and ask to have them done. My cousin recently had her son’s done – both ears. He’s an absolute doll and the earrings are cute too – but he already looks like such a sweetie, I hate to admit that having them BOTH pierced makes him look even more like a little girl… He’s only 2! He had the cutest black curly hair (mom’s white, dad’s black) but she just recently gave him a summer buzz, so that helps ;)

3. Steve says:

I can’t agree with you more about turning the event of getting ears pierced into a celebration. I love thought of having her remember the day of getting her ears pierced and picking out her first pair of earrings. This is such a special time for her.

4. Gloria says:

I wouldnt object if my son wanted his ears pierced (he’s 5 now). But my dad would go crazy! He’s old-school and thinks only gay men have earrings. He even made a fuss when I enrolled my son into dancing classes, can you imagine?

5. Sky says:

I really wanted to get Pea’s ears done when she was a baby, but her daddy thinks she needs to wait until she’s 16. I’m guessing sometime this summer we’ll get it done, she’s already asking. Soooo excited!

6. painydays says:

I got mine done at 5 or so. My brother was 8. He still wears earrings. Me? Rarely but glad I had it done. :)

7. :) Jaedyn got his ear pierced awhile after he turned 2. Compliments him well.

8. Crissy says:

Do you think a 2 year old girl knows if she’s ready to have her ears pierced, though? My almost-2-year-old boy thinks he’s ready for cookies and cake morning noon and night, but, I know he’s not lol.

I had mine done when I was 5, I kind of feel like the child should be old enough to put them in/out and administer self-care (cleaning, etc.) first.

Kids are mighty mature these days. Kidding. If you think about the kids who have them done as babies, their parents are taking care of their ears, so 2 is still a contender in my book. At 5, I remember having a lot of help with mine. Regardless, they’ll need some assistance for a while.

9. Mae says:

Decisions on piercing must be personal and a family thing. When I was a kid, I wasn’t asked, the piercing was already there so I want my kid to have a say when and how he or she can be pierced.

10. Stacie@ The Coupon Sista says:

I think it’s best to wait until a boy is older. I thought it would have been cute to have my son’s ear pieced when he was younger and we decided we’d wait until his teens. Now that he’s a teenager, he doesn’t want it anymore. So, I’m glad we waited.

11. Cat Davis says:

Body piercing is something Jon and I have discussed multiple times and we decided it should be saved for the girl’s to decide when they’re ready … maybe a birthday gift. But, it’s limited to one hole in each ear and no where else. Anything beyond that, they’ll have to wait until they’re 18. Now for our son, he will not be allowed to have anything pierced and he hasn’t asked yet either.

12. Linsey knerl says:

Great convo. I was not willing to have my daughter’s ears pierced when she was a baby, mostly because I was a working parent who had her in daycare. I didn’t trust the facility to mind the care of them while I was away (plus I traveled for work, and days would go by with her at Grandma’s or with her Dad.) We had them pierced, at her request, around 8, but they got infected. I really think it was a hygiene issue at the time. We tried one last time about 2 months ago. Now that she is almost 13, she has the hang of it, and she loves them! So worth the wait to have her do all the care. It teaches her responsibility and makes it more of a “her” thing. Neat to hear how other parents have handled it.

13. Shelly says:

My Chardie had her ears pierced at 6 months and Brie at 12 months. Glad I got it done early. They are earring fanatics! Now William on the other hand will have to be an adult to make that decision. I’m old school. Funny thing, Dwayne had an earring as a teenager and I loved it then. Now that we are older I could not see it on him. I think he stopped wearing one when Chardie was like 3 because she told him she did not like it. I do agree with Rachelle saying “Kudos to you for deciding to allow your child(ren) to make major decisions with your guidance when they are able” You are a great mom! Happy Mother’s Day!!

14. Rachelle says:

We pierced my daughter’s ears early. Mine were done the same way. I guess it was tradition. My son, same age as Jayden, thinks earrings are cool. His dad and granddad have theirs done and wear diamond studs. I’m not a big fan :( I wonder what’s going to happen when he really starts making style decisions beyond rainboots or Spiderman sneakers!

Kudos to you for deciding to allow your child(ren) to make major decisions with your guidance when they are able.

• Jill S. says:

I got mine pierced at 4, I don’t really remember it, other than I didn’t cry so I thought I was the bravest person ever!! We pierced Madison’s at 2, she knew it was happening, but I don’t think she’ll remember it, I haven’t asked her though, now I want to.