Lately, I’ve been brushing up on my domestic skills and I recently started making my own HE laundry detergent that works great in our Whirlpool Duet washer. Instead of talking about custom cycles as originally planned, I’d like to share my laundry detergent recipe instead. Before I get into the recipe, I’d like to update a bit on the our Duet pair. They are still serving us well and we are quite pleased with them. We haven’t created any custom cycles since we are content with the built in suite of cycles. So yeah that kind of skewed my plans for posting about them.
It’s about time for us to clean the washer, so we’ll have to pick up some Affresh next grocery run. Sometimes it can be a pain to keep up with the regular maintenance of newer appliances, but it’s for a reason. Since the Whirlpool Duet washer uses less water than a top loader, residual dirt and residue tend to build up in the machine faster, which is why it needs to be cleaned every month. Although I have to do this, I’m saving 12,857 gallons of water per year! So I’m just gonna roll with it!
Back to the recipe.
I use 1/4 cup of this detergent per normal load of laundry. I add it directly to the load without using the precision cartridge since I am not completely sure how much would be dispensed if I went that route.
- 1½ bar of castile soap, grated
- 1 cup of Super Washing Soda
- ½ cup of Borax
- 4 cups of water
- 2½ gallons of water
- Grate castile soap. This looks weird, I know. I had the camera in my other hand :).
- In a soup pot, stir soap, washing soda, and borax in with 4 cups water. Boil and stir until dissolved.
- In a large bucket (I use a 5 gallon), combine soap mixture with 2½ gallons of water. Mix well.
- Feel free to add essential oils for fragrance. I haven't since the laundry smells fresh enough for me :).
- Store detergent in smaller containers or leave in bucket if you have a top.
I wrote this post while participating in a test-drive campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Whirlpool and received a complimentary Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer to facilitate my review. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Zoya Wishes: Holiday & Winter ’14 Collection - October 20, 2014
- Win $5,000 in the 2014 Crock-Pot Crock-Star Contest! - October 18, 2014
- Chipotle Chicken Fajitas - October 5, 2014