Italian sausage during grilling season is one of my weaknesses. The flavor of the sausage combined with a well done grilled taste, hint of BBQ sauce of a bun is enough for me. So when asked to try Johnsonville’s new Brat and Italian Sausage Burgers, I was super excited. Italian sausage in the form of a hamburger patty? Heck yeah. So I thought.
I really wanted to like the Brat Burgers, but I have texture issues. I have a hard time biting into anything that mimics a scrambled egg patty, no matter how delicious the flavor is. The burgers were very juicy and flavorful. In fact I loved the flavor, but the juiciness is what I had a problem with. I would have preferred something more firm and dry. I had to get creative with these burgers because while I am all about honesty, I really don’t like to have to write “bad” reviews on my blog. So I found a way to tolerate them… in a bean soup! See the recipe below!
- 3 Johnsonville Italian Brat Burgers
- 80 oz soup stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 4 oz dry red beans
- 4 oz dry navy beans
- 4 oz dry pinto beans
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt (Lawry's!)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Green onions
- Thoroughly cook burger patties, breaking them down into small, grounded pieces.
- Add sausage, broth, beans, corn and seasonings in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes after the 6th hour and continue to cook for 1 hour.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and green onions.
This bean and sausage soup is so delicious and it will definitely be added to our list of comfort foods this Fall! Try it? Tell me how you like it!
I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing my experience with Johnsonville’s Brat Burgers. All words and texture issues are my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Back to School // Cereal Breakfast Muffins - July 21, 2014
- Mijo Style: Argyle Summer Casual Featuring Naartjie Kids - July 14, 2014
- July 4th Mijo Style: Red, White, & Awesome Boys - July 3, 2014