While I generally love anything with apples; applesauce, apple pie, apple jelly, apple whatever, I don’t eat the fruit (apples) as often as I’d like. I prefer an apple that is both equally sweet and tangy and those are hard come by. The apples I have eaten have either lacked sweetness or tanginess. Weeell, I was offered the opportunity to try SweeTango, a new variety of apples promising to be oh-so-delicious. I figured if I didn’t want to eat them as is, I’d just bake with them. The latter did not happen.
I received a shipment of SweeTango apples (overnighted, first harvest ftw!) and when I bit into one of them, I was hooked! I had apples for dessert and around the clock. And I was excited to eat them! Like favorite ice cream excited! And I made sure to get every last bit of each apple, even the core. I could not let them go. They were so delicious that I ate most of them (had to leave 3 for Jay) before I could use them in muffins as planned. But I’ll leave you with this recipe that can certainly be made with SweeTango apples, only I didn’t because I’m greedy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup apple – peeled, cored and chopped
- 4½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Add butter and cut it in with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Grease muffin tin. Mix all the ingredients together and fold in the apples last. Fill muffin tins and top with streusel. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until browned.
SweeTango apples are a cross between the Honeycrisp and Zestar varieties, which make them perfectly sweet and tangy. This new apple variety has been a labor of love for the university and a network of family-owned orchards to grow these apples. SweeTango apples are currently being grown in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Washington and should actually be hitting Walmart stores now! If you live in these areas, consider SweeTango a local treat!
I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing my experience with SweeTango Apples. All words are my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Get A Head Start At Walmart’s Pre-Black Friday Sale - November 23, 2014
- Slow Cooker Broccoli & Sausage Mac & Cheese - November 18, 2014
- Walmart’s Black Friday Deals & Shopping Tips - November 15, 2014