Last week, in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, I decided to brush up on my Mexican dishes. I experimented with guacamole, tortilla stew (which I turned into a bean soup), rice and bean salad, and allergy free tortillas (not as tasty as corn tortilla *sigh*). Before I go posting all of the recipes, I need to perfect them first, so today, I’ll just share the rice and bean salad recipe since it was fail-proof and it photographed really well :).
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked corn
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, dices
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ⅕ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Lightly toss to make sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate salad for about an hour, toss again, and serve.
*I didn’t use corn since Jayden is sensitive to corn.
You probably want to serve this salad with tacos, enchiladas, or something warm and flavorful. It’s a fresh side with mild flavors, but I think it works best alongside something rich. As always, if you try it, let me know how you like it! Oh, and if you’re looking to teach your kiddo Spanish, Walmart.com has Speak Spanish with Dora & Diego CD/book set on sale for $8.28! I ordered a set for Jayden and can’t wait to dive in!
Walmart is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, September 15 – November 1 with a continued commitment to serving the Hispanic community through education-focused initiatives. For more information about how Walmart is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, check out the article on WalmartStores.com. I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing how we are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with you. All words are my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Spider-Man Party For Two - August 26, 2014
- Boredom Buster: Buzzle Ball – A Step Away From The Cube - August 26, 2014
- Labor Day // Patriotic Petal Wreath - August 24, 2014