One of the things that I’m trying to do this year is eat and serve healthier foods. Sounds familiar, I’m sure. Last year, I totally dropped the ball being pregnant and all and now I’m pretty much trying to pick up the pieces. Lately, I’ve been trying to incorporate avocados into our diets as they are nutrient rich and offer great health benefits.
- One-fifth (1 ounce) of a Hass avocado has 50 calories, 3 grams of monounsaturated fat, 0 cholesterol and sodium, and 1 gram of dietary fiber.
- They provide nearly 20 essential vitamins and minerals: potassium, folic acid and other B-vitamins, as well as vitamins E and K. They also contain phytonutrients, believed to help prevent many chronic diseases.
- Avocados act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene as well as lutein and vitamins A, D, K and E in foods that are eaten with avocados.
- Avocados are a good source of lutein, an antioxidant which has been shown to be concentrated in the macula of the eye. Research suggests that it may help maintain healthy eyesight as we age. An ounce of avocado contains 81 micrograms of lutein.
( source )
One of our favorite ways to enjoy avocados is in the form of a simple smoothie that’s creamy, smooth, and delicious enough to enjoy in the morning, an afternoon snack – even dessert! It’s also enjoyable frozen in the freezer or ice cream maker. No ice would be needed if freezing, just use the water equivalent instead.
Ingredients can be found at Walmart.
- 1½ cups vanilla almond milk
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups ice
- Flesh of 4 ripe avocados
- 2 bananas
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.
I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing this recipe. My participation is voluntary and all words and opinions are always my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- 2014: Autumn/Winter Looks From Next Boys - October 24, 2014
- Zoya Wishes: Holiday & Winter ’14 Collection - October 20, 2014
- Win $5,000 in the 2014 Crock-Pot Crock-Star Contest! - October 18, 2014