June is Dairy Month and we’re celebrating by eating cheese, glorious cheese, and reminiscing on the fun time we had at Yon-Ed dairy farm two years ago. It was a time that we’ll never forget. Time sure does fly. Some memorable moments include Jayden helping Mrs. Lindborg feed the heifer cows, siting in a tractor, and sharing his shoe with one of the heifers. Click here to relive those moments with us.
Cheese is the number two source of bone-building calcium in the diet, as well as an excellent source of high quality protein, a nutrient necessary for maintaining healthy muscles and linked to helping weight management. It also can improve total diet quality because a person may be more likely to eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains when these foods are paired with cheese. Learn more on Midwest Dairy’s cheese nutrition page. In celebration of June Dairy Month, I came up with a delicious cheesy spinach dip that I am currently addicted to. I won’t say it’s the best EVER, but it’s pretty darn close. Bring this to brunch and you’ll definitely earn cool points :-)!
- 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese spread, softened
- ½ cup Miracle Whip
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 7 oz can of Herdez or Rotel salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or fiesta blend
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and Miracle Whip until well blended. Add spinach, onions, and seasonings. Mix until combined. Stir in shredded cheese and salsa.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Serve with tortilla or pita chips.
Charitable Sidenote: Midwest Dairy will be donating $20,000 to Feeding America this month. They’ve agreed to donate $1 (up to $20,000) for every view to the Feedin’ A Nation YouTube video and they’ve reached their goal. This means 160,000 meals for families in need! Doesn’t that make your heart happy?
As a partner of the Midwest Dairy Association, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- 2014: Autumn/Winter Looks From Next Boys - October 24, 2014
- Zoya Wishes: Holiday & Winter \'14 Collection - October 20, 2014
- Win $5,000 in the 2014 Crock-Pot Crock-Star Contest! - October 18, 2014