With cool, crisp weather comes warm, comfort foods. Soup is definitely on my list of favorite comfort foods to enjoy on a chilly Fall day. I love them because they are super easy to prepare. Tomato soup is one of my goto soups that require very little prep. It’s a great meal to carry us over until grocery day. We often have all of the ingredients and since it’s a versatile soup, ingredients can be added in addition to the standard recipe or swapped for an ingredient that we don’t have. In this yummy Tomato Soup recipe, I got really creative. I had just frozen some pureed tomatoes from the garden, so I opted for those. Fresh is best, right? My Gourmet Garden herbs came to the rescue since I didn’t have fresh herbs on hand and plain yogurt made a wonderful substitute for heavy cream. And the icing on the cake? I found loaves of day old french bread at Walmart for only 70 cents. They went perfectly with this quick and inexpensive meal!
- 2lbs tomatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch basil
- ¼ cup bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, peppers, and yogurt to blender and pulse until creamy smooth.
- Pour soup into a pot over low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 20 minutes for fresh tomatoes, 5 minutes for canned. Serve warm with your favorite crusty bread or grilled cheese.
Note: Since I had frozen pureed tomatoes on hand, I did things a little differently. I let them thaw in the pot and then, I ran it through the blender with the rest of the ingredients. I returned the puree back to the pot to finish cooking.
If you’re looking for more soup ideas, check out my Soup themed Pinterest board!
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Back to School // Cereal Breakfast Muffins - July 21, 2014
- Mijo Style: Argyle Summer Casual Featuring Naartjie Kids - July 14, 2014
- July 4th Mijo Style: Red, White, & Awesome Boys - July 3, 2014