January is National Soup Month, did ya know? We enjoy soup year round, but tend to have more of it during the cooler months. Chicken soup is a household favorite. I love making the broth from scratch. I never tire of the lovely aroma of veggies and spices steaming from the pot.
We are in the midst of a very relentless Winter so I’ve been cooking up variations of chicken soup. The soup that I want to share today adds a little zest to your typical chicken soup. This Citrus Chicken Orzo Soup has been a delicious and soothing comfort as we ward off the big bad cold bugs. It features citrusy flavors from tangy navel oranges that I picked up during Walmart’s in-store Citrus Event and collard greens that I had on hand.
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh orange or lemon juice
- 1 orange or lemon, zested
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package dark greens (spinach or collards)
- Bring a stock pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Let orzo cook in the boiling water until partially cooked through but not yet soft (5 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a large pot. Cook and stir celery, carrots, and onions until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion becomes translucent. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Add herbs, seasonings, and chicken broth into the pot.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Cover the pot partially, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender (10 minutes).
- Stir orzo, orange juice, and zest into the broth; add chicken. Cook until the chicken and orzo are heated through, (5 minutes). Stir in greens and cook until the greens wilt into the broth and the orzo is tender (5 minutes). Serve in your favorite soup bowls. Garnish with citrus slices, scallions and Parmesan cheese.
If you love citrus, now is the time to shop Walmart for your favorite fruits. They have some of the tastiest navel oranges. They are the perfect combination of tangy and sweet. Walmart is offering a 100% freshness guarantee on their citrus selection… if you’re not completely satisfied with their produce, just bring back your receipt for a full refund no questions asked! Well, I hope that you enjoy this soup. May I suggest a salad to go along with?
Last year: Mandarin Salad
If you’re looking for more soup ideas, check out my Soup themed Pinterest board!
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Sheena Tatum (see all)
- Apparoo App of the Week / Tic Toc Time - April 18, 2014
- Colgate Optic White Toothbrush + Built-in Whitening Pen - April 14, 2014
- Lemon & Jelly Bean White Chocolate Chip Cookies - April 12, 2014