Much of America mourned when Hostess products, including the much-beloved Twinkies, were slated to become extinct last year. Petitions were drawn up, store shelves were cleared, and social media exploded with the demand for Hostess goodies to return. Hilarity! Well, Hostess listened, and as of July 15th, 2013, you can once again find them on store shelves! At Walmart in particular you’ll be able to find Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Donettes, and all of Hostess’ other baked treats in distinct packaging that will be hard to miss.
With summer in full swing, and plenty of things to do indoors and out each day, toss some Twinkies in your lunch bag, add some Donettes to your picnic cooler, or consider these sweet and easy-to-make treats that combine traditional desserts with Hostess to create indulgent must-haves that will please everyone:
Special thanks to my friend, Jenn, for loaning out her kitchen for these delectables!
- 6 Chocolate Donettes, chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla cake mix
- Optional: substitute chocolate cake mix in place of vanilla cake mix, and add ¼ cup of cocoa powder for chocolate-flavored ice cream.
- Chop Chocolate Donettes into small chunks and place in freezer for a minimum of 2 hours
- Combine milk and granulated sugar and whisk well.
- Add heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract, and stir well.
- Add cake mix to liquid mixture, and stir well to dissolve any lumps.
- Gently stir in frozen chunks of Chocolate Donettes
- Place mixture in a freezer-safe bowl and chill until it reaches the desired consistency (about 6 hours in a pre-frozen ice cream bowl; 10-12 hours in a non-frozen bowl).
- Serve & enjoy!
- Add a drizzle of chocolate sauce, a dollop of whipped cream, and a sprinkling of chocolate sprinkles for ultimate decadence!
- 10 Twinkies
- 16 oz. strawberries, halved or sliced
- 6 strawberries, whole (not cut)
- 1 8 oz. tub or two 6.5 oz canisters of whipped cream
- Place Twinkies side-by-side (2 rows, 5 to a row) in a 9″ x 9″ baking dish.
- Layer 12 oz. strawberries on top of Twinkies
- Use remaining 4 oz. of strawberries to create a “border” along the edges of the baking dish.
- Top strawberries with whipped cream – use a spatula to smooth out lumps.
- Place 6 strawberries on top, pointed side down and slightly pressed into whipped cream.
- Top with strawberry sauce and some additional whipped cream for the perfect tasty finish!
- 10 CupCakes
- 1 box of vanilla cake mix (plus necessary ingredients)
- 2 containers of vanilla Duncan Hines Amazing Glazes
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed.
- Chop 3 CupCakes into small, crumbly pieces (recommended: manual food processor), then set aside.
- Chop 6 CupCakes into small, crumbly pieces, then set aside.
- Heat both containers of vanilla Duncan Hines Amazing Glazes as directed.
- Combine the 6 chopped CupCakes with the heated Amazing Glazes to create a custom CupCake-flavored icing, then set aside.
- Once cake has cooled, top with the 3 chopped CupCakes, then frost with the custom CupCake-flavored icing (tip: re-heat custom icing so that it will easily pour over the top of the cake, then use a spatula to gently spread it around).
- Place 1 CupCake (or more, if you’d like!) on the top of the cake as an adornment.
- For the chocolate lovers, add some chocolate chips (we used HERSHEY’S Triple Chocolate Dessert Toppings) for the ultimate chocolate flavoring!
So now that Hostess has made a comeback, will you be stocking up on your favorites?
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.