It’s Mardi Gras time! So many pins of classic New Orleans dishes start circulating this time of the year. I’ve been wanting to share some Mardi Gras inspired recipes and this year, I’ve finally got around to doing so. See: Seafood Gumbo and Red Beans and Rice. Visiting New Orleans is on my bucket list, but until then, I’ll continue to bring the NOLA to my kitchen.
In celebration of Mardi Gras, Walmart asked me to share a fun Mardi Gras inspired recipe. Well, over the weekend I whipped up a massive amount of beignets. We’ll be eating them all week. The yummy fried pastries are all the rage in the French Quarters. If you’re craving an easy and not-so-sweet treat, you’ll love these beignets. This recipe makes a large quantity, so you may want to cut it in half. Enjoy!
- ½ cup water, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7½ cups flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Pour ½ cup room temperature water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Let yeast dissolve for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the shortening, sugar, and salt. Pour the boiling water over the shortening mixture, then stir in the evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool down until it is lukewarm, then add the yeast and water mixture and beaten eggs.
- Slowly mix in the flour until the dough forms a ball. You may want to use a dough hook. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. I put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Working with a baseball sized portion at a time, roll out the dough ⅛-inch thick. Cut the rolled out dough into 2½ inch squares.
- Heat your oil for frying in a deep and wide skillet over medium-low-high heat. The temperature will depend on your stove and skillet.
- Slowly slide dough into the oil to avoid splattering and deep fry until they puff up and turn a golden brown color. Place each beignet onto a rack with paper towels underneath. Dust beignets with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Visit the Pinterest board below for more Mardi Gras inspiration!
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I insert relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.