What do you do when you’re stuck in the house during the rudest winter EVAR? You play in the kitchen to keep your
sanity mind off of what you could be doing outside if it didn’t closely resemble Antarctica. I’ve been on an Asian cuisine kick lately, which is funny because Chinese New Year is approaching. I love me some orange chicken and thought it’d make a tasty sandwich. After doing some research, I found that Slater’s 50/50 in Southern California actually serves an orange chicken sandwich. After drooling at some photos, I decided to create my version featuring cole slaw and delectable onion rolls that I grabbed on a recent trip to Walmart.
A few things to note:
The sweet orange sauce is what makes the sandwich, so I like to bread and fry the chicken without seasoning it.
Be sure to taste the sauce to make sure it is sweet/zesty enough. Add more brown sugar and orange zest/juice as needed.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 sandwich onion rolls
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup cole slaw
- Prepare two bowls; one with beaten egg, another with the flour. Dip chicken in egg mixture, coat in flour, set aside. Fry chicken until completely cooked.
- In a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Stir over medium heat until thoroughly combined. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger, garlic and red pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Taste sauce and add more brown sugar and zest if needed.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. Pour sauce over fried chicken. Assemble sandwich, garnishing chicken with cole slaw and green onions.
If you enjoyed this yummy sandwich, you may want to try this Mongolian Stir Fry!
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thank you for visiting and supporting Sophistishe!