Fabric Bookcase Backing Makeover

bookcasemakeover

We just bought a bookcase for the playroom designated for toys and learning supplies. Although not necessary, I wanted to spruce it up a little to add some contrast between the shelves and the backing. I decided to decorate the back of the bookcase with some fabric for an instant makeover. It turned out pretty snazzy, but I think I went overboard with the Mod Podge. I honestly didn’t need to use Mod Podge since I used staples, but had the bookcase backing been thicker, Mod Podge would have definitely been needed.

Anywho.

Supplies

– Bookcase (Ameriwood 5-Shelf)

– 2 yards of fabric (bought mine from Hawthorne Threads, but check out Walmart’s selection)

– Stapler and/or Mod Podge (I used Matte finish, Glossy probably looks better)

I layed the backing of the bookcase on a drop cloth. The backing looks a little rough because Greg put the bookcase together before I had the chance to tell him to leave it off… soooo I had to remove it… and nail it back on when I was done.

078

I took 2 yards of fabric and layed it on top of the backing, leaving an inch of fabric on the right side to be overlapped and stapled to the backing. I trimmed off excess fabric on the left side (there was about 5 inches of fabric left) and proceeded to Mod Podge over the cardboard backing.

079

082

084

I then, layed the fabric on top of the Mod Podge and smoothed it out… to the best of my ability. This is when I should have folded the fabric under on the left side and stapled it, but I did that AND Mod Podged over the fabric.

086

It really didn’t need a 2nd coat of Mod Podge. Hey, you learn from experience, right? I couldn’t wait for the backing to completely dry, so I nailed it back on the bookcase moist. I stared at the finished product with apprehension, but as it dried, it looked better and better.

085

This was a super simple project that made such a big difference. I definitely see more fabric makeovers in the near future. Once I find something that works, I run with it!

Edited to add: The bubbles disappeared after it finished drying!

I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing this DIY project with you. My participation is voluntary and all words and opinions are always my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.

:: Linking up with Totally Pinworthy. ::

Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+1Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someoneDigg thisBuffer this page

is the founder of Sophistishe. She's a free spirit, rental rebel, curator of pretty things, lover of vintage pyrex, and the tropics. Sheena can be found in NW Indiana with her husband and two scrumptious boys, clutching kraft paper, chalkboard paint, sriracha and chipotle pepper.

2 Comments

  • Reply June 24, 2012

    Sarah

    That is soo cool. Love it.

    • Reply July 9, 2012

      Sheena

      Thanks! It looks great now that it dried :-).

Leave a Reply

Loading Facebook Comments ...