Confession. We usually eat frozen veggies and I am torn over it. While I would love to serve up fresh vegetables with every meal, it’s not always convenient.
One of our favorite vegetables to eat is broccoli and we usually keep plenty of it stocked in the freezer. That was the most convenient option for us… until now.
I was recently introduced to Beneforté broccoli, a fresh, packaged broccoli from Eat Smart available at all Sam’s Clubs. Beneforté comes washed, trimmed and ready to eat which spells convenience for us.
Beneforté is a naturally better broccoli. Each serving contains 2-3 times the amount of phytonutrient glucoraphanin compared to other broccoli varieties. Glucoraphanin boosts your body’s antioxidant enzyme levels, which helps maintain the antioxidant activity of vitamins A, C and E in the body – which we all can use during cold/flu winter season.
I love making soups during winter. They serve as great comfort foods and can help us nurse any bugs we may be dealing with. With Beneforté samples on hand, I decided to whip up some Potato Broccoli Soup last week. Here’s the recipe:
- 3½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups [Beneforté|http://www.eatsmartbeneforte.com/] broccoli
- 3¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- In a stockpot, combine the potatoes, celery, onion, seasonings and chicken broth. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, for about 20 minutes. Stir in broccoli after 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until thick, for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, avoiding lumps, until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thickened.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately, topped with favorites such as cheese, bacon, and scallions.
We enjoyed this soup with homemade whole wheat rolls. I was surprised at how fresh Beneforté tasted; like no broccoli I’ve ever had before. It took me a while to get used to the taste because it was THAT fresh. I am happy to now have a fresh broccoli option that will not spoil quickly. We’ll be able to enjoy the nutritional benefits of fresh broccoli more often… and one of you will too!
Win A $50 Sam’s Club Gift Card!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway ends on January 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM EST. A winner in the U.S. will be randomly selected, announced in the Rafflecopter widget above, and contacted via email. Check out my Giveaway Rules if you have any questions. Good luck!
I received compensation, giveaway prizes, and product samples to share my honest opinion as a Beneforté Broccoli Ambassador.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.